Wait, Apple what?
That’s right. Apple Nachos. Stay with me, folks. Here’s a picture of them in all of their glory, just to get you salivating.
This Pinterest find comes from Allyson of Manifest Vegan who shared her recipe for this apparent “craze” in the blogging world. I’ve made them three times in the last five days, so that most definitely qualifies as a craze in our household.
How are they awesome? Let me count the ways:
- Fast prep time. I’d give it five minutes max.
- It’s a much healthier snack than reaching into the chips bag! Talk about a great way to get fruit, protein, and chocolate into to your diet. (Remember: chocolate, in small quantities, is good for you. Don’t believe me? Click here.)
- Fall is nearly upon us! It’s time to work apples into our diets on a regular basis, people.
- It’s suitable for all age groups. (My little nephews enjoyed it as much as we big humans did.)
- I’m all about eating with my hands. Ever since I first visited Medieval Times….
- Husbands who don’t like pecans will start liking pecans. It’s a miracle snack.
Mixing the ingredients together creates an amazing blend of tastes that I’ve not quite had before. Here’s a run down of the “recipe.” I usually like to know exact amounts for each ingredient, but this is one of those that really is more fun if you eye it.
- Apples (sliced very thin and with as much surface-area as possible – - they’re like little plates!). 1 apple per person should be about the right amount.
- Lemon juice (keep about a few teaspoons in a bowl and dip the apples in the juice before setting out to avoid browning)
- Sliced almonds
- Flaked coconut
- Chocolate chips
- Creamy peanut butter (put about 1/4 cup in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften it – - then drizzzzzzzle on top for the final touch!)
Toss it all on a plate the next time you have a friend over or the neighborhood kids drop by unexpected. It’s a snack that won’t last very long, so make sure YOU get a few bites in there, too. (I knew I learned how to box out in basketball for SOME reason….)