20 DIY Chalkboard Projects

I think that by now, chalkboard projects have graduated from “flavor of the week” to “design staple.”  Prime example, just look at all the chalkboard products we have at our fingertips: chalkboard paint, spray paint, vinyl, contact paper, and {wait for it} even chalk cloth vinyl.  They’ve made it easy as 1-2-3 for us to transform practically anything into a chalk-able surface.  And I am guilty as charged!

Since I can’t seem to get enough of chalkboard projects, I’ve collected 20 DIY Chalkboard Projects into a round-up worth a gander.  You’ll quickly see that chalkboard isn’t just for the classroom anymore.  No, no.  Chalkboard is for our mugs and signs and gifts and walls…and it is here to stay!

20 DIY Chalkboard Projects | The Thinking Closet

DIY Chalkboard Project Round-Up

The sisters at A Beautiful Mess never cease to amaze me with their creative projects, including this chalkboard mug.  Such a great hostess or holiday gift!

DIY Chalkboard Projects Round-Up | The Thinking Closet

DIY Chalkboard Mug | A Beautiful Mess

Speaking of great gift ideas, how about these chalkboard coasters?  You could play tic-tac-toe in between sips of lemonade!

DIY Chalkboard Projects Round-Up by The Thinking Closet

DIY Chalkboard Coasters | The Sweetest Occasion

Chalkboard gifts need none other than chalkboard-inspired gift-wrap!  I bought a roll of black paper and chalkboard markers last Christmas, and I’m still getting great use out of them.

Did you know that you can achieve an antiquing effect on fabric using Mod Podge?  Learn the how-to in this nifty tutorial by No. 2 Pencil:

Did you also know that there’s such a thing as chalk cloth vinyl?  Perfect for a reusable pennant banner!

You’ll never look at “trash” the same way when you see how Bethany transformed a bench thrown out by her neighbor into a darling chalkboard Welcome sign!

You can even transform baking pans into nifty chore charts with some chalkboard spray paint as Kirsten shows us!

DIY Chalkboard Projects Round-Up by The Thinking Closet

DIY Chalk Chore Charts | One Tough Mother

If you’re a fan of charts, then check out this chalkboard menu board!  I love its simplicity.

DIY Chalkboard Projects Round-Up | The Thinking Closet

DIY Chalkboard Menu Board | Adventures of a DIY Mom

And y’all know how much I love surprise notes…what a great idea to make a chalkboard surface on a lunch box for notes to the kiddos!

I used chalkboard spray paint to transform chipboard into a Birthday & Anniversary Calendar to keep track of those dates I always forget forgot.

And oh, the potential fun you could have in family photo shoots with some chalkboard talk bubbles!  First-day-of-school tradition, perhaps?

Chalkboard can even be fashionable!  Amy proves it in this tutorial.

Want to get a head start on Christmas gifts?  Check out these clever chalkboard ornaments:

DIY Chalkboard Projects Round-Up | The Thinking Closet

Chalkboard Ornaments | Rust & Sunshine

At parties, use chalkboard “dipped” wine glasses to help distinguish whose is whose!

Who is brave enough to go big with a chalkboard wall?!  I love how Chris used different colored chalk markers to accent the wall.

DIY Chalkboard Projects Round-Up | The Thinking Closet

Chalkboard Wall | Just a Girl

Chalk is such a great non-messy medium to use with kiddos…and what a great idea to add a chalkboard surface to a kids’ craft table.

Did you know that chalkboard isn’t limited to black?  Look at this purdy blue that my friend Jen used:

DIY Chalkboard Project Round-Up by The Thinking Closet

Travel Train Box | de Jong Dream House

And check out this tray that got a bright n’ bold makeover with some lime green chalkboard paint!  Hooray for tea time!

These chalkboard painted pots are so lovely…they almost have me deluded into thinking I  have a green thumb.

DIY Chalkboard Projects Round-Up | The Thinking Closet

Chalkboard Painted Herb Pots |
The Weekend Homemaker

A certain “someone” (me!) created some wooden chalkboard labels (these below!) to help organize “their” (my!) kitchen pantry last fall.  It’s still going strong!

DIY Chalkboard Label Tutorial by The Thinking Closet

DIY Chalkboard Label Tutorial by moi at de Jong Dream House today!

While my buddy Jen is abroad in the Netherlands, I have hijacked her blog, de Jong Dream House.  (Hijacked…guest posted…same thing.)  And today, I’m sharing this very tutorial from the archives, my friends…and it’s one that probably most of you have never seen as it was published when I was just a baby blogger with only my family for followers.

Now that my “family” has grown to include so many of you dears, I thought it was time to give this post its “second spring” in (ahem) summer.  Check it out here.

Then, be sure to mosey around the Dream House a bit, look for a sole mate, and taste some yummy homemade Nutella.

20 DIY Chalkboard Projects | The Thinking Closet

The 21st Chalkboard Project

Just popping into this post a few months later to add my latest DIY chalkboard creation, a Ruler-Framed Chalkboard Sign, perfect for teacher gifts, hospitality gifts, or photo shoots!  Check out the full tutorial here.

Your Turn!

Do you have any DIY Chalkboard Projects you’ve tackled?  Any pins that I need to check out?  Do share!  You always inspire me when you do.

Have a wonderful rest of your weekend, everyone.  {Linking up here.}

signature

Lovely comments so far...

1. This is such a great round-up Lauren! I’ve pinned it :) Thanks for including my chore charts!

• thethinkingcloset says:

Love those chore charts! Although we don’t have kidlets of our own yet, I might need a chore chart for myself. (I need a chart to motivate me to exercise…why shouldn’t the same hold for chores, right?) Anyway, thanks for allowing me to include it! I know that so many others will find inspiration in it, as well. Have a great start to your week, Kirsten.

2. What a fun Round-up! I pinned as well :)

Rachel @ R & R Workshop

3. I love it! So many great ideas! Last year, I stocked up on some chalkboard vinyl from Pick Your Plum, so I’ve been rather chalk-happy myself. And when I was painting my son’s room (when it was still a nursery, sniffle) I did a whole wall in chalkboard paint. Much to my mother-in-law’s displeasure, hehe. I love the coasters. Can’t wait to have a go with my boring set!

• thethinkingcloset says:

Chalkboard vinyl is one medium I haven’t worked with yet, but am dying to…will have to keep my eye out on Pick Your Plum for some! And what a great idea to do a chalkboard wall in a nursery…I haven’t really seen that before. I love it! (Even though your MIL may not. Tee hee.)

And do you think you’ll use the vinyl on the coasters or paint them? I’d love to make some, as well!

• I will most likely paint the coasters since they are a porous tile. The vinyl works really well for smooth surfaces like glass or plastic (totes in my craft room) but I’m not crazy about how it adheres to rougher surfaces. I put a sheet of it on the freezer in the garage to keep tabs on how much meat we have left, but it kind of bubbles around the edge. Of course, that may also be due to the temperature changes in the garage…

• thethinkingcloset says:

Good thinking with using paint on a porous surface. And I have wondered how the vinyl would hold up in general with the humidity here in Florida. The contact paper I used on my drawer organizers has held up on our main level, but not so well downstairs in basement-like lower level. I think temp. changes make a big difference with those sorts of things!

4. Thanks for including me in this great round up! :) I’m pinning!

• thethinkingcloset says:

Your “Welcome” sign brings a whole new meaning to the saying, “One person’s trash is another person’s treasure.” Seriously, what a treasure you created. Thanks for allowing me to feature it in this round-up, Bethany! And thanks for the pin!

5. I love chalkboard projects! In fact, I think it’s time I do more of them :) Love all these great ideas you were able to round-up. Thanks so much for including my lunch box with chalkboard note area!

• thethinkingcloset says:

Yay! Glad this round-up may have re-inspired you to work on chalkboard projects. I really can’t get enough of them myself!

And it was an honor to include your oh-so-awesome lunch box in the mix. I am SO doing that down the road when I have lunch boxes to pack! Thanks for the inspiration, Sarah.

6. What fun!!! :)

• thethinkingcloset says:

Thanks, Katherine! It was a blast to pull together this round-up. Got my creative juices flowing!

7. These are great Lauren. Chalkboard is making a bit of a come back here too. I road tested many ways to design crochet/knitting patterns but it turned out chalkboard is definitely the best way to do equations. How surprising! LOL!
    I got a mini folding chalkboard, crocheted a cover and voila! A laptop that is actually a real live chalkboard!

8. Love me some chalkboard paint! I am working on a bunch of chalkboard projects this very weekend:)

• thethinkingcloset says:

Oooo! How fun! I’ll have to look out on Too Much Time to see what you’ve been up to. Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Love your linky party!

9. Love all of the chalkboard roundups! Hugs, Holly

• thethinkingcloset says:

Thanks, Holly! I had to stop myself at 20, but could have kept going. There are just so many creative chalkboard projects out there!

10. Great roundup! I love the lunchbox one…will have to give a try for the new school year.;)

• thethinkingcloset says:

I thought that one was particularly clever! I pack Mark’s lunchbag for work and am trying to scheme a way to do something similar…though a bag is less conducive to chalkboard than a box. Hmmmm…..

11. What a great list, I pinned it on my blog party idea board…now will just have to remember to actually make some of them…I especially love the wine glasses!
    Thanks

• thethinkingcloset says:

Thanks for the pin-love, Mary! And I know that feeling of “so many crafts, so little time.” The clock always seems to tick faster when I have craft supplies out…what’s that about? :-)

12. Amazing round-up, Lauren! I’m so inspired. Like you, I love chalkboard anything. And I was going to say that the chalkboard bunting was my favourite, but when I read “Here I am, Rock you like a hurricane” on the speech bubble, I was sold on those.

Reading Scorpions lyrics on a Sunday morning starts it off just right! :)

Pinning, sharing, shouting from the rooftops! :)

• thethinkingcloset says:

Thanks for being such a supportive bloggy buddy, Tara! You are awesome on so many levels (your affinity for Scorpions lyrics not withstanding). And I’ll have you know that I’m finding as many opportunities as possible to use the word “kidlets” now thanks to you. ;-)

13. Great ideas!

Remember sidewalk chalk of your childhood? I sometimes use it to welcome people in front of the tenthouse!
    I fear writing on black boards with chalk in schools will soon be a thing of the past, but I still love to use it when I teach and will do it until they haul away the chalkboard! :-)

14. Awesome roundup, Lauren! Thanks for putting this together!

15. Thanks so much for featuring my menu board!! You’ve gathered up so many great ideas – which is great for me, since I still have more chalkboard paint to use up!

• thethinkingcloset says:

You’re so welcome, Rachel! And I can’t wait to hear what you end up creating with that extra chalkboard paint. The possibilities really are endless, aren’t they?

16. These are all adorable! Thanks for sharing – pinning these!

Allison @ http://www.allisonskinnyjeans.com

• thethinkingcloset says:

Why thank you, Allison! I appreciate you taking the time to comment and to pin. Have a fantastic week!

17. Thanks for featuring my train box. And of course, taking over my blog while we are out gallavanting around! :-)

• thethinkingcloset says:

Of course! Thanks for the invitation to hijack de Jong Dream House for a weekend. ‘Twas a joy and an honor. Now, go live it up in the Netherlands; I can’t wait to hear about your adventures upon your return.

18. :-) I love all these pretty and fun chalkboard projects Lauren! :-)
    would love to have that reusable pennant banner and that beautiful anniversary calendar ;-)

• thethinkingcloset says:

I’m glad you enjoyed this round-up, Ingrid! Yes, a reusable pennant banner would come in handy for parties, wouldn’t it? And you’re kind to mention your appreciation for my birthday and anniversary calendar. It’s still doing its job and giving me more forewarning on upcoming important dates. Which reminds me, I have some anniversary gifts to pull together! ;-) Have a great week, my friend.

19. What a great round up! Pinned it to my Crafty How To & Round Up Board! Love chalkboard paint! Stopping by from Keeping It Simple.

• thethinkingcloset says:

Great idea to have a Round-Up board! I might have to follow in suit. Thanks for stopping by and for the pin-love, Kathy! I appreciate it.

20. Great post! I have leftover chalk paint from when I painted a small wall so I’m always on the lookout for other projects so I can use the leftovers. Here’s my chalk paint project: http://bravenewhome.com/2013/02/11/painting-maybe-not-the-best-naptime-project/

• thethinkingcloset says:

Thanks, Jennifer! And going to your chalk paint project, I totally remember reading that when you first shared it back in February! It’s such an awesome look for that space. Thanks for sharing it again to jog my memory! (He he…I had fun reading my own comment.)

21. Great roundup, Miss Lauren! I haven’t jumped on the chalkboard train yet…I’d better get on that because these projects are so cute! Hopping over to de Jong Dream House to check out your post! Have a great day!

~Abby =)

• thethinkingcloset says:

Thanks, Abby! And you’re so sweet to head over to check out my “blast-from-the-past” post. Those were in my pre-watermarking days of old…it’s crazy to think how little I knew then about blogging…it was my first week, I do believe! But I DID know that I loved chalkboard projects. ;-)

And I know you’d work some magic with some chalkboard paint at your disposal. Watch out, world!

22. All of these look like such fun projects! Great round-up, Lauren!!
    Kenley

• thethinkingcloset says:

Thanks, Kenley! Chalkboard is definitely on the brain these days…”I just can’t get enough” as the song goes. Hope you’re having a wonderful week, my friend.

23. Thank you SO much for sharing these fun chalkboard ideas Lauren! They are all SO cute! I love working with chalkboard paint and I’m absolutely adding some of these to my list to make! :)

My readers would love these ideas! I’d love it if you linked this up over at Living Well Spending Less for Thrifty Thursday this week! http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/category/thrifty-thursday/

• thethinkingcloset says:

Yay! I’m always happy to find another fan of chalkboard paint! And thanks for the invitation. Once I get caught up on emails and comments and get back to linkys, I’ll do my best to stop by.

24. Lauren, so many great ideas! I love them all… now to decide which one to try first! Featuring you this week at Saturday Show & Tell!

• thethinkingcloset says:

Thanks so much for the feature, Ms. Mackenzie! Grabbed my featured button already and am wearing it with pride. :-)

25. My fav is the wrapping paper b/c that’s something I hadn’t seen before!

• thethinkingcloset says:

I’ve got a whole roll of that black craft paper left over if you want some! I’ll probably be using it for the next 50 years, so chalkboard BETTER not go out of style. ;-)

26. Thank you so much for the feature! It’s an honor!

• thethinkingcloset says:

The honor is all mine, Delia! I’m really obsessed with that re-usable banner that you whipped up! So practical!

27. Great chalkboard project roundup. Thought I had every chalkboard idea there was but you surprised me with a couple of new ones!
    We would like to invite you to party with us at 5:00 on Thursday evenings at the new Blog Strut Peacock Style Link Party to share your very creative and clever roundup. Come on over!! http://wp.me/P2Vf55-1K

• thethinkingcloset says:

Yay! I love surprising people! And thanks for the invitation, Sande. If I can make it, I’ll stop by!

28. These are some really great ideas. I love the chalkboard look! I just made a big chalkboard for our kitchen using chalkboard spray paint and a cute white frame and it was so easy and came out great. Thanks for sharing.

• thethinkingcloset says:

You hit the nail on the head with the word “easy.” I think that’s why I love the chalkboard spray-paint. In just a few sweeps of the can, you can dramatically transform a piece into a chalkboard surface. It’s fantastic! Thanks for sharing your story and for stopping by, Kelly. Great to “meet” you.

29. I LOVE these!! I did our summer fun list this year on a faux chalkboard. Chalkboards and chalkboard-inspired projects are the best. Thanks for linking up with Two Girls & a Party!

Jenn
    Co-host of this week’s Two Girls & a Party linky party!

• thethinkingcloset says:

I love hearing how many people are chalkboard fans. No wonder it’s cropping up everywhere lately! And a chalkboard is the PERFECT medium for a summer fun list. I can just see those fun items popping off of the black background with such vibrancy. Thanks for co-hosting such an awesome party, Jenn. And for stopping by!

30. Hello! :) I just found your cute blog from lil’ luna’s link party. I’m starting a new blog and hope you will follow me back at http://www.mysaturdaysmiles.blogspot.com

Thanks!

• thethinkingcloset says:

Thanks for stopping by, Madeline! And for the invitation to check out your new blog. Congrats! What an exciting time for you!

31. Love all the chalkboard ideas! Come link up to Centerpiece Wednesday http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2013/07/centerpiece-wednesday-and-wrap-up_17.html
    Karin

32. I did not read all of the comments, so if someone already posted this idea–sorry you have to hear it again. I got this idea from–where else–Pinterest. I tried it and it works like a charm. You can use black poster board for your chalkboard. Put it in a cute frame and write away. It erases, too–no need to “season it”. I can’t believe something so easy works.

33. What a great collection of projects. Many of them are perfect for gift giving!

My readers loved it too. Check out your feature here: http://www.crystalandcomp.com/2013/07/best-mom-advice-72113/.

34. Great collection!

A few months ago I found a beautiful, antique, wooden mirror frame. The glass had broken leaving just the plywood behind it. I loved the frame and it was like $2, so I had to take it home. Now it is a pretty chalkboard in my bedroom! I haven’t posted it yet, need to get on that!

• thethinkingcloset says:

Wow! That’s a perfect use for such a frame! In fact, I’m hoping to do something similar as a hospitality gift…so DO let me know when you post on it, Erika! I’d love to glean some inspiration from your creation.

35. I love all these! Thank you for sharing at our Simply Create Link Party. We will be featuring and pinning your conglomeration post on Thurs. night at our Link party. :)

Melissa
    redflycreations.com

36. I love your round-ups! Alicia, my housemate, has turned me onto the amazingness that is chalkboards! They seem to be all around Lismore House. I like these unique projects….especially the DIY Chalkboard Label tutorial. :) It’s so smart, because there have been many a time I’ve printed out a label, but later (depending on how much of the “thing” I have) I may want to move the location or replace it. The chalkboard label allows for that flexibility. I’m glad that post is getting another go out in blogland. Wow, and I can’t believe it’s almost your blog one year anniversary!!!! If this is what’s happened in one year, I can’t wait to see what will happen in 2…or 10??

37. sorry for the delay thank you!!! Thanks for featuring my dipped wine glasses!! I love your blog and thank you so much for connecting! xoxo

• thethinkingcloset says:

No worries, Debbie! It was a joy to feature your dipped wine glasses. They’re super cute and added so much creativity to this round-up.

Trackbacks

1. [...] 20 DIY Chalkboard Projects by Lauren @ The Thinking [...]

2. […] free to explore my round-up of 20 D.I.Y. Chalkboard Projects!  Some are other chalkboard projects I done and most are gems I’ve found around blogland. […]

3. […] Inking for some more blackboard swag? Try some of these DIY chalkboard ideas: […]

4. […] 20 DIY Chalboard Projects: The Thinking Closet […]

5. […] opportunity to incorporate a few more trends with a wood slice banner painted with none other than chalkboard paint!  And I have to thank Keri’s Christmas Pinterest Party for the wood slice banner […]

Your comments make my day!