If you were a child of the 80s, perhaps you were raised on one of the greatest Christmas movies of all time, A Christmas Story. There are too many memorable moments in this movie to choose a favorite, however, one moment in particular was called to mind for me today. The leg lamp scene. Here it is if you need a little reminder:
Well, this week, I had the honor of receiving my own “leg lamp” of sorts, the Liebster Blog Award, from two different bloggers: Christine from Decorum DIYer and Bonnie from BonBon’s Beauty. Two nominations in one week?! Wowza! It was such an unexpected surprise. Thanks to both of you ladies for the love. (Be sure to check out their awesome blogs.)
So, what is this all about? I had to do some research myself because though I had seen the Liebster button before, I was in the dark about the deets. Well, liebster means “dearest” or “favorite” in German, and it’s an award given to up-and-coming blogs of less than 200 followers (that’s me!). And of course, there are rules to follow….
Rule #1. Post 11 facts about yourself.
Rule #2. Answer the 11 questions posed by the person who nominated you.
Rule #3. Nominate 5 other bloggers with less than 200 followers for the award.
Rule #4. Create 11 new questions for your nominees.
Rule #5. Go to each blogger’s site and let them know about the award.
Rule #6. Thank the person who nominated you and link back to his/her blog.
I thought this would be a great way to share a bit more about myself with you, my “liebster” readers, as well as to spread the love to some other blogger buddies out there. So, here we go! Diving head first into lists, lists, lists.
11 “Random” Facts about Lauren:
- I have a scar on my cheek from a knife fight in N.Y.C. Actually no, that’s just what I tell people. Really, it’s from my mother’s C-section when I was born. My doctor, Dr. Love (yes, that was his name), cut my face in the process of bringing me into the world; we call it my “love cut.” I’m proud of it.
- I can recite all of the American Presidents from Washington to Obama at lightening speed, all thanks to my 9th grade social studies teacher, Mrs. Maurer. “Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe….”
- My favorite sport is field hockey. Whenever the air gets crisp and cool in the fall, my fingers itch for a stick to grab and a ball to thwack…all while wearing a skirt and a mouth-guard.
- I believe in God and in things unseen. Hebrews 11:1.
- When I left my teaching job in Ohio this past school year, my musical theatre students performed a flashmob to Usher’s song, “Without You” in my honor. It was one of the greatest moments of my teaching career, and yes, I sobbed like a baby.
- My husband makes me laugh every single day…and hugs me every single day…and I am so thankful for him, it’s not even funny.
- I have been to Cuba three times on mission trips; the country and its people are near and dear to my heart.
- And on that note, one of the items on my bucket list is to become fluent in Spanish. I’ve gotten close in the past, but I’m not quite there, yet.
- My husband and I love board games! They got us through many a cold winter in Ohio. Risk, Dominion, and Settlers of Catan are some of our favorites. (Shout out to Andy and Liz, our cousins and our gaming buddies.)
- I grew up in a very musical family; everyone can play multiple instruments and sing! My instruments were piano, flute, tenor saxophone, and guitar…though I really only feel confident on the guitar these days.
- During our wedding ceremony, right before my husband and I were pronounced husband and wife, an airplane advertising a foot fungus remedy flew through the sky behind us (we were overlooking the beach). Nothing like a little foot fungus humor to lighten things up a bit!
And here are my answers to Christine’s 11 questions for me; I chose Christine’s because we’re both DIY bloggers, and her questions were a little easier for me to answer, though Bonnie’s would be great for a beauty-blogger.
My Answers to Christine’s Questions:
- What is your favorite childhood book? Argh! So hard to choose just one. But a favorite of mine was definitely A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle.
- Do you have a pet(s)? If you want to count the lizards and geckos that manage find their way into our house, then yes! But truthfully, we’re hoping to get a dog someday soon…possibly a Yorkie!
- Favorite color? Pink. Don’t hate.
- Where were you born? White Plains, N.Y. A suburb of the big apple.
- Coffee or tea? Chai tea latte is my hot drink of choice. With whipped cream, please.
- What is your special talent? I suppose I can speak in a variety of accents, including southern, Michigan, New York, Long Island, pirate, Irish, cockney, British, Tanzanian, Spanish, French, Eastern European, and Scottish.
- Are you an only child? No, I was blessed to have one younger sister, named Lisbeth, who is one of the most amazing and inspirational women I know. I shared 5 fun facts about her in my Denim Skirt Reveal.
- If you could go back in time, in which time period would you want to live? Definitely the 1960s; I know it was a turbulent time, but I think it’d be pretty incredible to be a part of the changes that were happening in our country then…not to mention the music and fashion.
- Favorite paint color (name and brand) that you have used? I had to go out to the garage for this one, but I really like the minty green that we have on our guest room and bathroom walls. It’s made by Behr and is called Aqua Smoke.
- What is your profession? I am a theatre teacher, and I dare say it’s one of the best jobs in the world.
- Favorite subject in school? Without a doubt, tie score, English and theatre. Of course, it’s no surprise that I later became an English and theatre teacher…though in many ways, it was a surprise to me.
Now, I have the opportunity to “pay it forward” and nominate 5 other blogs to receive the award. To my “liebster” nominees, of course, you’re not obligated to accept the award or even pay it forward yourself, but I’m glad to be able to share your blog links with my followers. Folks, these are definitely blogs to check out!
My Nominees for the Liebster Blog Award Are:
- Stephanie at The Driftwood Cottage: A fellow Floridian blogger who can refurbish old furniture like it’s nobody’s business.
- Kristin at Little Corbin Hill: Another fantastic Floridian blogger who has also caught the crafting bug.
- Robyn at Ruffly Ribbons & Ramblings: (Love her alliteration.) A new blogger with a knack for cute hairstyles and hair accessories.
- Sandy at The Delightful Eclectic Abode: I “met” Sandy through one of her comments on my blog, and after visiting her site, was inspired by her photos and poetic writing style.
- Nici at Posed Perfection: You can just tell Nici has such a beautiful spirit…not to mention some amazing recipes and diy projects.
My 11 Questions for My “Liebster” Blogs:
- Where are you sitting right this very moment? Describe your surroundings.
- What inspires you?
- What is one holiday tradition in your family? (Any holiday.)
- What is your favorite hot drink?
- What is one goal you have for the upcoming year?
- What is one goal that you accomplished during this past year?
- What is one work of art (painting, film, play, poem, book, etc.) that has made an impact on your life?
- What is one quote that you live by?
- If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you want to be?
- If you were forced to spend the rest of your life in a library, museum, or zoo, which would you choose?
- What never fails to make you laugh?
Whew! That was a lot of listing, but very worthwhile. Thanks again, Christine and Bonnie, for your sweetness. And for anyone who made it all the way to the end, bless you, and have a great weekend!